Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day

For years, we've recycled cans, bottles, and newspapers. Last year I discovered that the recycling company our city uses allows many other items to be recycled so we purchased a large bin on wheels and fill it up every week. Less than six months later, we came home on trash day to find our recycle bin looking like this. I was really ticked off because this bin was expensive. I called the recycle company who said they weren't responsible for "normal" wear and tear. I also sent this photo to my mayor who thanked me for bringing it to his attention but apparently did nothing. So another six months later, we finally pulled out the duct tape and repaired our bin and will continue to fill it up every week. It's not much but if all us little people fill our bins every week we can make a difference. I saw Hunter Lovins, author of "Climate Capitalism: Capitalism in the Age of Climate Change" on her book tour earlier this week. After hearing what she had to say, I decided it's the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment