Sunday, July 17, 2011

An heirloom

Earlier this year, I blogged about Benjamin Gordon Smith, my husband's great uncle. Yesterday, while cleaning out my in-laws shed we found this baby dress. Inside the bag was a note handwritten by my husband's grandmother (sister of Ben) that read "Uncle Ben Smith's baby dress made by his mother about 1884." On the back it read "His mother Amanda Horne Smith."


This is a picture of Benjamin Gordon Smith.


And one of his mother, Amanda Horne Smith (1859 - 1943).



By finding this dress with the note documenting it's place in our family history and the lost relatives photos I recently blogged about, I'm reminded of how important it is to label photos and family heirlooms for future generations. I'm making a mental note to be more diligent about doing just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment