Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Celestial delight ... a rare event

I can't pass up a chance to watch history so crawled out of my warm bed twice during the night to catch a glimpse of the total eclipse of the moon. It was also the same day as the winter solstice. The last time a lunar eclipse fell on the winter solstice was December 21, 1638 -- 372 years ago. The next time it is expected to happen is December 21, 2094.

The first picture was taken around 9 PM last night, December 20.


This one was taken right before 1 AM, December 21.


The next two were taken around 2:30 AM. I couldn't get a clear shot but you can see the change in color on both. It was cold too!




The last two were taken at 5 AM, my normal wake up time. And yes, I'm a little sleepy this morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment